Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2001 14:41:51 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Jason Halbert <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi

Jason Halbert wrote:

> Why is vi the default choice of editor for UNIX and how did it become
> the default?  I find it cumbersome.

Because they weren't there at the time. Besides, it's a big step up from
having to use ed. As far as I can remember there were only vi and an
early version of emacs. WordStar only came on the scene 1980 something
and ran only on CP/M.

> I'm just curious of it's advantages over joe or pico or any of the
> others.

It was available, the rest wasn't <g>. The edge over emacs was its size
and simplicity. Not to mention its weird attraction on programmers ;).

Roelof