Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:04:10 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Holm Tiffe <holm@magnet.geophysik.tu-freiberg.de>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to boot a diskless -current ?

On Thursday 22 November 2001 12:10, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it is the time again for me to investigate how diskless
> booting -current is working today.
>
> I've got a german Telekom TDSL line und must convert from my
> oldish I4B diskless router (386/40) to a new one, that's
> capable to handle the DSL speed at 768K/sec.
>
> Since there are now to many differences between my -current
> workstation at home and the 4.1-stable that's my i4B router
> boots diskless, I've decided to run -current on the new router
> also and I wish to share the / and the /usr filesystems
> between the two.
>
> I have an 10base5 Network at home and the DSL modem comes with
> an 10baseT interface.
>
> The Network cards I wish to use are some oldish WD8013 with an
> etherboot rom and dhcp and for the DSL side an 3C509.
>
> What ist the way to boot , eg. which file I have to load with
> dhcp? The cards doesn't support pxe.
>
> Please point me in the right direction...

If you really only plan to use the machine as a router than I
suggest using picoBSD. That way you don't need any disk at all,
except for a floppy.

I have a tarball laying around here which is based on 4.4, I
think, and which is intended for just such an application - a
pppoe router booted from floppy.

I haven't tried it out myself, but I did look at what's in the
package and it appears to provide all the funcionality needed.

If you're interested I could send it to you.

--
Gary Jennejohn garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org