Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:37:15 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More bogons in Makefiles...

> 1. What is the "general" policy with Makefile's pointing to directories like
>    ${.OBJDIR}../../foo/bar when the library (normally) in question is
>    installed in /usr/lib? In a number of places there are references like

Ah, but maybe it's not yet, eh?  Or maybe it's entirely the wrong
version because you're building a source tree for a different release
of FreeBSD than the build host is running.

Assuming anything about the contents of the final destination
directories for what may be a simple build is highly bogus and, while
this is still done in a number of places in /usr/src, the eventual
intent is to get rid of this and make /usr/src build in a properly
self-referential fashion.

>    src tree. I percieve the purpose of 'make world' to be to make sure that
>    these libraries get installed before the build happens. Or are these

It's the current kludge of `make world' to do this, but it's still not
its most ideal purpose. :)

>    Is there a clean way of building and installing the lib in
>    ${.OBJDIR}/.. as a first step in the Makefile, and cleaning it from the
>    other subdirectory's Makefile if only that subdirectory was built?

Not really, no.  Not a clean way. :-)

> [ numerous bogons identified and diff'd ]

Yes, as you can see, things aren't always 100% consistent in there and
you've certainly identified some definite bogons.  I or someone will
review and commit from this list fairly shortly.

> Anyway, that's all for now. I'm still trying to understand make, *.mk and
> the Makefiles.

You seem to be doing pretty well so far. :-)

						Jordan