Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:30:33 -0500
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        nadav@barcode.co.il (Nadav Eiron)
Cc:        dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu (Doug White), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help With Partition Naming & Setup.

 |Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il> wrote:
 |> Sean J. Schluntz wrote:
 |> > I have one follow up question on this, how does the / get a label of
 |> > /dev/sd0a when the /usr and /var get labels of /dev/sd0s1f and
 |> > /dev/sd0s1e on my single dedicated SCSI disk.
 |>
 |> For historical reasons (I guess). You can only boot from the *first* BSD
 |> slice on a disk, so the slice number of the root partition is irrelevant
 |> (the only root partition you can use is the one on the first BSD slice).
 |> This is from times when BSD didn't know about slices.

Ouch, I was planning to do this so I could run two versions of FreeBSD on
one disk instead of splitting them across two as I had done in the past,
and continue to use a third slice to share /home and other strategic
directories:

        slice 0  -  FAT
        slice 1  -  FreeBSD version x.xx (root partition)
        slice 2  -  FreeBSD version y.yy (root partition)
        slice 3  -  FreeBSD shared UFS   (/share)

So just to make sure that I'm not misinterpreting, even if I install my
boot manager (OS/BS 2.0B8) to allow booting off slice 1 or 2, when the BIOS
reads the boot record of either slice 1 or slice 2, FreeBSD's loader is
going to force-boot off the FreeBSD version installed in slice 1?

Would it be hard to fix this?  It's too bad we don't support this setup.
It'd be particularly handy for developers.

I guess I'll just have to fall-back on putting each version on a separate
disk.

Randall Hopper