Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2015 08:21:41 -0600
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Eric Joyner <ricera10@gmail.com>, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding new media types to if_media.h

> I'm doing some work for Mellanox and we need some 100GBase types for
> coming hardware products too.

> I think we are not using the 32-bits of "ifm_media" well enough.

> Has it been discussed to add more bits to "IFM_NMASK" and have more
> ethernet types like IFM_ETHER_0, IFM_ETHER_1, IFM_ETHER_2, IFM_ETHER_3 ....

> Currently 5 IFM types are defined. If 2 more bits can be added to
> IFM_NMASK we have 5 bits total giving us 2**5 = 32 IFM types. Then it
> should be possible to define "(32 - 5) * 32 = 864" more ethernet types,
> which I think should be enough for now - or we add even one more bit to
> IFM_NMASK ?

Did you have specific bits in mind?  I'm fairly sure they are all assigned
to something now.  The adjacent bits are used for the subtype/variant and
options.  Most of the options are used, maybe not all.

I haven't checked whether the "instance" field is still used, though.  It
was for MII PHY numbers, I believe.

If we had more bits, it seems better to put them directly into the subtype
field rather than the type field.

		Mike