Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 10:32:00 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Talk problems btw. FreeBSD & Sun

[ Talk problems Sun <-> FreeBSD ]

> > That's because Sun uses a *very* old (6-7 years) version of talk that
> > doesn't work over machines that use different byte orders, sucn as Sun's
> > and PC's.  The *ONLY* machines that Sun's will 'talk' to are other suns.
>
> Now that's awfull!!! Weren't the things meant to be consistent in the use
> of byte order?

They were once it was figured out, but Sun never shipped the new
versions since it's *NOT* backwards compatible with the old version. :(

> Perhaps there is a way of getting that /usr/old/talk?

I'm not sure, but ytalk *might* be able to talk to the Suns.  Someone
with more experience in that matter may be able to verify that.
Download ytalk and check the docs.

Nate