Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:10:23 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [going OT] Re: Any mail server software that could run on FreeBSD?

Ted Mittelstaedt (tedm@toybox.placo.com) wrote:
> Rubbish - has Sendmail been removed from the distribution?
> Last I saw Sendmail was the default, qmail was an optional port.
> I'd say that if you want to construe anything as a recommendation,
> this is pretty overwhelming.

As has been previously stated: changing the default MTA is *not* a
trivial task.

> Qmail is usually advised for those people that don't like reading
> the manual and prefer to just install software and go, without
> knowing anything about what they are installing.  This is because
> qmail is _simpler_.  Obviously, when you make something
> _less flexible_ you make it _simpler_ thus easier for the
> unwashed masses to digest.

Is it necessary to understand every intricate detail of an MTA to set
one up properly? I'm more useful to my employer if I can get the
software going first and learn everything there is to know later.

> There's a reason, after all, that qmail is the default for
> Linux.

Sorry? Default for what distribution? None of the most popular
distributions use Qmail as their default MTA. RedHat, SuSE and Slackware
all use sendmail and Debian uses Exim. That was a cheap shot, Ted.

--

Mark Drayton