Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 07:50:34 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Brendan <jgrossma@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chat

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 10:42:32PM +1000, Brendan wrote:

> this is for all the replies i got, I still think it would be a good
> idea - it wont cost anything, it wouldn't take long to set up plus
> it provides an alternative for people who don't know what IRC is/or
> how to use an IRC client etc etc.

In most of the large networks, like undernet, dalnet and efnet, you
can always find people in #freebsd and/or #freebsdhelp channels.

I think that this is what you are looking for, and the IRC channels
are already referenced in the web pages of www.freebsd.org.

Having a direct link, or a java client in the pages is more a problem
than a help, since the java client will be able to connect back only
to the web server where you downloaded the applet from, and that means
that www.freebsd.org will need to run an irc server or a redirect of
some sort.  It's a lot easier, to just fire up your favorite IRC
client, connect to your favorite IRC network, and just /join #freebsd
or #freebsdhelp.

-giorgos