Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 19:43:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcl81 port takes forever to START building

This is because of all the MLINKS in the Makefile.  Care to
take a stab at making the MLINKS code in bsd.port.mk faster?

-steve

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

# Hello!
#
# I noticed, that the time between I type `make' in a port's directory and
# the first line of make's  progress-report was growing. But after today's
# cvsup  of the  ports tree,  it  takes it  25-40 seconds  to start  doing
# something  noticeable. On  a PII-333Mhz,  mind you,  otherwise idle.  No
# paging  (128Mb RAM),  no rc5des.  The port  in qustion  is tcl81  (needs
# updating  to  8.1.1, BTW).  Other  ports  start building  (or  fetching)
# faster, but the delay is still quite noticable...
#
# Top shows 4 (!) make processes running in parallel with 0 idle time. Why
# is this such a monster now?
#
# Thanks!
#
# 	-mi
#
#
# To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
# with "unsubscribe freebsd-ports" in the body of the message
#