Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:28:31 -0500
From:      Rick <rick@groupofnine.org>
To:        "doug.fee@unisys.com" <doug.fee@unisys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge 1650

doug.fee@unisys.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know or tried to run FreeBSD on a Dell PowerEdge 1650?  I'm
> pretty sure it would work, but I'm not sure about the dual embedded
> gigabit ethernet cards that come with it.  I tried to find out exactly
> what they are, but to no avail.  I'm thinking that maybe it is the Intel
> PRO/1000 XTs.  But it is confusing since Dell offers them as add-on
> cards also.
>
> Any light on this issue would be greatly appreciated since I'm
> considering buying 7 of them...
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Fee
> Network Design Engineer
> Unisys Corporation
> doug.fee@unisys.com
> 502-226-2143

Hi Doug,

Most vendors, especially when dealing with a rather large purchase,
would gladly eat their own sh*t if they though it would make the deal.
Tell them you want to test one out with FreeBSD before you buy the rest.
    You may have to sign something that holds you to buying the rest if
it does work, but any BS reason filled with technical jargon will get
you out of it :-)  If they give you a hard time, just say that you know
that brand XXX machines run FreeBSD with no problems.  I usually get a
test box before we buy any new machines, and most vendors are fine with it.

Cheers

-Rick

ps - I did the same thing with a Dell laptop, and ended up buying five
vaio's.  Thank goodness for that test one :-)