Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:30:50 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'make -DNO_DEPENDS install' causing error

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 09:21:54AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Peter Pentchev wrote:
>=20
>> Errr... maybe I should actually take a careful look at portmaster first,
>> but after a cursory look at portmaster.sh.in... how do you handle the
>> case of a port installation that executes commands from a runtime
>> dependency?  That is, a runtime dependency that is actually used at
>> install time, too?
>=20
> That should be a build dependency then. I'll take a look at the example y=
ou=20
> cited, but my gut feeling is that what you're describing shouldn't happen.

Erm, nope...  A build dependency is not meant to modify anything
on the user's system, but the installation process may need to, say,
rebuild indexes or otherwise update some kind of configuration.
Think add-on packages - some of them might need some kind of
registration in the main package's configuration.

At least that's the way I see it, and ICBW, but I think that there are
various legitimate cases when a run-time dependency ought to be installed
before the package installation itself.  For more examples, take a look
at the plist of most X11 fonts (@exec fc-cache), most JDK implementations
(@exec registervm), most docbook-* ports (@exec xmlcatmgr), some GNOME
ports like gnomevfs (@exec gconftool-2), and many others.

G'luck,