Date:      Fri, 09 May 2014 12:16:20 -0700
From:      Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: Laptop keyboard not responsive after USB keyboard unplug

On 01/11/13 03:43, Pierre DAVID wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:36:27AM +0000, Tom Evans wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Pierre DAVID <pdagog@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have an old (since the conversion to HAL I think) problem which
>>> begins to be very annoying since I now need more mobility:
>>>
>>>     when I disconnect the USB keyboard/mouse from my laptop, the
>>>     laptop keyboard is no longer responsive.
>>>
>>>     Internal touchpad/mouse continue to work. When plug back the
>>>     USB keyboard, all keyboards (laptop + USB) work again.
>>>
>>>     This problem occurs only when using X11. When not using X11,
>>>     keyboard plug/unplug is working perfectly well.
>>
>> Hi Pierre
>>
>> I've also noticed this problem, but I have a workaround. After detach,
>> switch to a VT (CTRL+ALT+F1), hit any key and then switch back to X,
>> and the internal keyboard works again.
>>

> Great!
>
> This not a real and elegant solution... but this is real workaround
> which makes my life much easier!
>
> Thanks very much!

I have exactly this problem with a Fujitsu Lifebook E743 running FreeBSD
11.0-CURRENT r263980, new VT with KMS and xorg-7.7 built from ports head
branch r350058 via poudriere. However, the suggested work around does
not work as CTRL+ALT+F1 does not register and switch out to a VT.

Can any FreeBSD xorg gurus please chime in to help me debug and
hopefully fix this really annoying problem?

Cheers,
Lawrence