Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 02:56:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: perl4

> As Tony Kimball wrote:
>
> >    You're saying you're willing to re-write all of the offending
> >    utilities in C, including the test scripts for xntpd and sendmail?
> >
> > Do the test scripts really need to be part of the base OS?
>
> Btw., you've only checked for installed scripts.  Do also check out
> the Makefiles.  I know that i've been using ``perl -e'' in some of the
> Makefiles myself.

That particular things kinda makes my stomach turn, as it creates yet
more cyclic dependincy trees that are very hard to break.  Think about
what would happen if we did upgrade to perl5 in the base system and
now our Makefiles with perl -e in them fall over because they need to
be changed.  Instant cyclic build problem.

Makefiles should be written using a minimal set of tools, not any old
thing that happens to be avaliable on the system.  If you look at the
current toolist required in /usr/src/Makefile it is already way to
large and needs some control put on just what we do allow to be used
in a Makefile.