Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:55:21 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet ip_input.c

Don Lewis wrote:

> truckman    2001/03/05 15:18:48 PST
>
>   Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
>     sys/netinet          ip_input.c
>   Log:
>   MFC: 1.158 - 1.161

[...]

>   Attempt to optimize the order of the tests.
>
>   Also, disable unicast IP address vs. arrival interface checking by default
>   for POLA reasons.

[...]

> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/ip_input.c.diff?r1=1.130.2.19&r2=1.130.2.20

For what it's worth, this checking will likely break the merlinmon port
if enabled, as the packets that the Merlin/Sage devices send have the
source address "forged" to be that of the host's IP address. For
example, if the host gets an IP address of 192.9.200.4, then merlinmon
will send UDP packets from 192.9.200.4 to 10.0.0.1 over the PPP link,
and the replies will arrive from 192.9.200.4 to 192.9.200.4 over that
same PPP link (the protocol merlinmon uses is a means to query
connection status from the modem. The Merlin/Sage will intercept UDP
requests to a particular IP/port and reply. Unfortunately, the reply
packet addressing does not mirror the source). I've taken Novatel to
task over this. This behavior keeps merlinmon from working natively on
Linux without going into their IP stack and ripping this same check out.
They don't seem to be willing to fix this, unfortunately (nor do they
wish to fix their misinterpretation of MRU negotiation, but that's a
whole 'nother story).

Don't get me wrong - I am all for the change. I'm really only sending
this message so that the answer to "why doesn't merlinmon work anymore?"
can be found in the mailing list archives. :-)