Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:30:18 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ignorant networking Qs

Glenn Becker <chexmix@burningclown.com> probably said:
> 1) What specifically (if anything) needs to be edited in
> /etc/defaults/pccard.conf? 'Cause I can't see it through a blinding
> headache this ongoing problem has caused ... :(

Nothing should be changed in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf, it's a set of
defaults designed to be added to as you upgrade. If you need to change
anything you should replicate the entry into /etc/pccard.conf.

That said, there shouldn't be anything you need to add for a 3c589,
the work out of the box for me.

> What is meant by changing them to 'media foo' options?

A reference to the method being used possibly being out of date and in
future the code may benifit from the change. Nothing you should care
about.

> 2) How do I -get rid of- the lp0 interface which I mistakenly added in
> /stand/sysinstall, thinking it was 'loopback'?

Add an interface with sysinstall ? I have no idea what you mean.

If you want to get rid of a device you either disable it in a config
boot (boot with -c and type 'vis' at the config command line to get
the visual device editor you may have used at install time), stop a
module being loaded if the device is being added by a module or
comment it out of a kernel config and build a new kernel.

All these should be documented in the handbook or other online docs.

> 3) Why do my routing tables (as viewed with netstat -nr) steadfastly
> refuse to be populated with the right stuff?

Because you don't have an interface that can reach the "right stuff" ?

A route should not be added if you cannot route packets to the
destination.  Set up an interface and then worry about routes.

Basic network configuration should also be in the online docs, the
problem is you may be trying to configure things before the pcmcia
network interface is brought up, which won't work.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu