Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:07:50 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: Venting my frustration with FreeBSD

On Monday 04 December 2006 21:10, David Kelly wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2006, at 2:43 PM, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > If you *do* decide to flame me please take a moment to grep for
> > josh@tcbug.org through the ports tree, or look for PR's with my
> > archives looking for responses from me.  I have, and do,
> > contribute to FreeBSD, which I feel gives me the right to
> > complain a bit.  I fully intend to ride the FBSD boat as long as
> > possible, I just can't help but wonder if the slow leaks I see
> > now are serious.
>
> Know what I like best about FreeBSD? That this thread has NOT
> become a flamefest. That FreeBSD users and developers know the
> difference between constructive criticism and a troll. Know how to
> take constructive criticism, and how to ignore a troll. And just so
> there isn't any doubt, Josh's posting is "constructive criticism."
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net
>===== Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

I started and run the local BSD user group, and I've always been
interested in seeing what the local LUG does, so I read their mailing
list.  One of the things I've always noticed is that the LUG mailing
list is one big flame-fest.  In the years our BUG has been in
existance we've had one thread that was at all hostile, and it was
the result of someone posting a bunch of political propaganda during
the 04 presidential elections.  We also have an IRC channel on
freenode, and just the other day I went to kick someone out for the
first time, only to find I wasn't on the access list.  (For the
record, the only reason I wanted to kick them is their client was
dorked up and caught in a join/part cycle)  What I'm getting at is
that the FreeBSD community is for the most part terrific.  For the
record I haven't gotten anything close to a flame from anyone, either
onlist or off.

To be fair, I should mention the things that I think are awesome about
FreeBSD.

1) The ports tree.  Not without it's faults, but if you know how to
massage it properly I think it's the best package management system
in existance in the open source world....and it's better than any of
the proprietary ones I've used from commercial vendors too.

2) The documentation.  Chances are, if you want to do it it has
excellent OFFICIAL documentation.  My hats off to everyone that
slaves away on the doc team.

3) The filesystem layout.  Simply fantastic.  The seperation between
the base system and 3rd party apps is a godsend.

4) The ease of updating the base system.  Sure, there have been some
ugly upgrade paths between major version numbers.  (2.x -> 3.x) and
the fact that there's no feasible way to get UFS2 without a reinstall
making 4.x -> 5.x || 6.x somewhat pointless, but even so, 5.x -> 6.x
is cake, as was 3.x -> 4.x which is impressive.  And minor version
numbers are of course trivial.

I could go on, but I'm getting too touchy feely for my own good I
think. :)

I think I'll add one more thing to my original rant.  Why oh why oh
why can't we have a journalling filesystem?

I'll also add, I so hope I'm wrong and FreeBSD will be there for me
for years and years and years to come. :)

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel