Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 00:14:07 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu, eivind@yes.no, shimon@simon-shapiro.org, kgor@inetspace.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do you increase available SYSV shared memory?

Terry Lambert scribbled this message on Mar 26:
> > > region in another process (ie: copy the pages if they are /dev/zero
> > > pages, but share them otherwise), that SYSV SHMEM is actually a
> > > better (in terms of performance) technology.
> >
> > what's wrong with a unix domain socket and passing the file descriptor
> > through the socket?
>
> How do you arrive at a central point for echanging the information?

the same way you obtain the sysv identifier...  by using the file
system...  every one know that you don't hard code constants like
this...  8-) 8-)   or else you have problems like not being able to
run multiple copies of your program...

> Do you use SYSV IPC?  8-) 8-).

well, I have when I played doom,  it really was anoying to find that
it wouldn't run more than once without me having to REMOVE the ipc
structure that it left behind because ipc doesn't keep a usage count..

how about a nice DOS attack by someone grabing all of your SYSV
shared memory??

as far as programming SYSV IPC goes, no, I don't...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                      Modem Rev/FAX: +1 541 346 9237
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for