Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:05:34 +0000
From:      Chris Hodgins <chodgins@cis.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh default security risc

Gert Cuykens wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:34:42 +0000, Chris Hodgins
> <chodgins@cis.strath.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>Gert Cuykens wrote:
>>
>>>By default the root ssh is disabled. If a dedicated server x somewhere
>>>far far away doesn't have root ssh enabled the admin is pretty much
>>>screwed if they hack his user  account and change the user password
>>>right ?
>>>
>>>So is it not better to enable it by default ?
>>>

>>Every unix box has a root account.  Not every unix box has a jblogs
>>account.  Lets take the example of a brute-force attempt.  The first
>>thing I would do would be to attack roots password.  I know the account
>>exists.  Might as well go for the big prize first.
>>
>>So having a root account enabled is definetly a bad thing.
>>
>>Chris
>>

> Do you agree a user acount is most of the time more vonerable then the
> root account ?

Assuming you know the username then maybe.  It depends on the strength
of the users password.  If they are only using private keys with
passphrases then you probably won't be getting access that way with any
account.

> If they can hack the root they can defenatly hack a user account too.
> So i dont see any meaning of disabeling it.

If they can hack root they own the system and can do what they like.  By
disabling root you remove the option of this happening.  Instead they
have to try and compromise a user account.  Once they compromise the
user account, they then have to gain root access (assuming that is their
goal).  Why bother with the hassle.  There are plenty of machines out
there already with weak root passwords.  If a hacker really wants into
your system he will find a way.

Chris