Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:23:53 +0100
From:      freebsd user <freebsd@bsd.miki.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   RMI problems

Hi,

I run native jdk1.5 on FreeBSD 6.1. Without almost any problems ;-)
Usual stuff: tomcat, struts, hibernate .

I've started recently new distributed project based on a RMI technology.
I'm developing it both on Linux and FreeBSD. The linux environment gives
me no problems, everything 'just works' ;-) Unfortunately I have a lot
of problems on the FreeBSD side.

rmiregistry uses a lot of cpu power, up to 100%. Binding services to
registry is very unpredictable: sometimes it works, sometimes don't. I
have no idea why. I do 'kill -9' to rmiregistry and all java processes
to rebind again, but with no success. The exception says:

INFO  2006-10-29 17:33:51 RMIRepositoryServerImpl:main - Exception in
main()
java.rmi.ConnectIOException: error during JRMP connection establishment;
nested exception is:
    at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:274)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:171)
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(UnicastRef.java:306)
    at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.bind(Unknown Source)
    at
xxx.server.rmi.RMIRepositoryServerImpl.main(RMIRepositoryServerImpl.java:69)

Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:235)
    at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(DataInputStream.java:241)
    at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:215)

Of course RMI port is open, I can telnet to it with no problems. There's
no firewall.

Do you guys use RMI with FreeBSD?