Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:25:15 +0200
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache 2.2 + PHP5 + SuExec + (fast-cgi or mod_fcgid)

*fast* cgi , which as the name implies, is erm, fast ;)

See, only apache has PHP as a module.

Other web servers such as nginx or lighttpd use a fastcgi process.

This has several advantages:

- you'll no longer see apache exit with (quote) a "signal 11, core
dumped" because of lousy php code / errors.
- you can use different php config files for different vhosts
- php fcgi is faster
- you can use process accounting to check the processing time consumed
individually by your web server , and your PHP processes
- you will slightly reduce the size of your apache processes, since
they'll no longer load mod_php