Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 11:02:24 -0600
From:      "John D. Morrison" <jdm1intx@airmail.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help on installing version 2.0 and ordering the FreeBSD book

I'm reluctantly sending this message because I know I'm going to get a lot
of flack, but I'm at a dead end, so I have no choice.

I bought a FreeBSD 2.0 CD at a Pro Tech bookstore here in Irving, TX.  I
installed it on a 486dx-33 with a genuine intel cpu and 4 megs of ram.  The
hard drive is a 1.2 gig EIDE which is partitioned into 340 megs for DOS,
and the rest for FreeBSD.  The installation was tricky, but I got it done.
 I created a new user account for myself, added it to the wheel group, and
everything seemed to be just ducky.

Then I started trying to do other system admin type stuff, using vi to
create textfiles, etc.

The problem I'm running into is that it won't let me see any of the config
scripts that are in my home directory (home/john), unless I log in as root.
 I'm talking about .cshrc, .profile, etc.

If I su to root, it doesn't help.  I can't even execute any of the programs
in /sbin, like dmesg or shutdown.  If I actually log in as root, I can, but
not if I su to root.  I even used chown to change the ownership of the
files in my home directory to john, and chmod to set all their flag bits to
rwx.  No difference.  I still can't see them unless I actually log in as
root.

Another problem is the obvious differences between 2.0 and later versions.
 The FAQs that came with my CD make no mention of how to change your system
startup configuration, specifically how to use a different terminal spec
than the default.  I can change the TERM environment variable temporarily
with env, but I can't figure out where to change it permanently.  The FAQ's
on your web site mention a system.config file that is supposed to be in
/etc, but I can't find it.  How and where do I change TERM and TERMCAP and
some of the other environment variables for startup?

Lastly, I was going to order your book on FreeBSD, but when I clicked to
the order on-line screen, there was no place to select a book.  Just 6
different listboxes with a bunch of different CD's in them.  Where do I
order the actual book?

Now, I know what you're going to say.  I should order the latest version of
FreeBSD and upgrade and so on. And I'm sure I will once I get to the point
where I'm really ready to do something with it.  It's just that I spent so
much time on setting this system up, I really hate to take a chance on
screwing it up and having to start all over from scratch.  It was not easy
getting this puppy to run.  Besides, the latest version of FreeBSD won't
really run too well in 4 megs, I understand.

I'll stop rambling now.

John Morrison
jdm1intx@airmail.net