Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:32:45 +0400
From:      Kamigishi Rei <spambox@haruhiism.net>
To:        Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root history not saving over reboot 8*

Al Plant wrote:
> Several of us on the questions list have not been able to find out if
> the problem of history not being saved in the root or usr command
> lines has been corrected.
> I have tried 8* on both i386 and amd64 and it doesnt save across a
> reboot on either box. FreeBSD 7.2 does as do the earlier current
> versions before approximately June of 8*
I guess you use 'reboot' to reboot. As this forces a reboot immediately
(and closes all terminals), the shell has no chance to terminate
'normally' (i.e., by exit/ctrl-d/logout/etc) - therefore history is not
saved.

Check if the command history is saved if you do "shutdown -r now" and
hit ctrl-d immediately. I'd assume it does.

--
Kamigishi Rei
KREI-RIPE