Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 18:58:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        rknebel@mail.microserve.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound and mutt

> Hi,
> I am somewhat new to freebsd and have a few queations.
> I have version 2.2.2.
> In linux I use mutt as my mailer. The version that comes with freebsd is
> old.
> Will the newer version that I use with Linux compile under freebsd?

If you get the latest ports tree (see www.freebsd.org for details on
how upgrade your system to handle this) you can install mutt-0.81 by
typing
# pkg_delete {your-current-mutt}
# cd /usr/ports/mail/mutt
# make; make install

The version was last updated on the on the 5th of August; if there is
a never version of mutt available, contact David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org>
to have it upgraded.  He is the maintainer of that port (which can be
read from the Makefile in the specific ports directory).

> Also to get sound in freebsd to I have to rebuild the kernal as I do with
> Linux?

Yes.  You will have to modify the kernel config file and rebuild the
kernel.  You do this like this:
# cd /sys/i386/conf
# cp GENERIC MYKERNELNAME
# $EDITOR MYKERNELNAME
# config MYKERNELNAME
# cd ../../compile/MYKERNELNAME
# make depend; make

You can get inspiration for how to change the kernel description file
(MYKERNELNAME in the example) from the LINT file - it has a
description of all options that you are supposed to modify (there are
some undocumented ones, but they are usually only of interest to
people hacking the kernel).  Change the name of the kernel config
(MYKERNELNAME) to one you find suitable for your machine - I usually
use the hostname of the machine in uppercase, unless I build for a
whole class of machines.

More information on configuring the kernel is in the FreeBSD handbook
at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

You might also be interested in the OSS (Open Sound Systems) drivers
or Luigi Rizzo's new, improved sound drivers - search the mailing list
archives to find details.  You can search at
http://www.freebsd.org/search.html

Eivind.