Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 20:19:16 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uucp uid's

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch) writes:
>  Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)
>  > (i.e. the owner of the uucp files, processes, etc.).  And,
>
>  All the UIDs should be identical however, i.e. the UUCP administrator
>  has the same UID and group as all the UUCP dialin accounts.  I've
>  never seen a system that doesn't handle it this way.

I'm one. Why do the uid's need to be the same? There isn't a permissions
problem because:

davidn[~]> l /usr/libexec/uucp/uucico
-r-sr-sr-x  1 uucp  dialer  212992 May 12 20:16 /usr/libexec/uucp/uucico*
   ^  ^

I've been operating this way for years since first using Taylor-uucp
under ISC UNIX in 1991, and it doesn't seem to be a problem
for either tcp or dialup connections.

Cheers,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/