Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 09:33:09 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TESTERS WANTED for new ATAPI CD/CDR/CDRW driver.

> > > This is a snapshot of my work in progress on the new ATA/ATAPI subsystem.
> > > Please dont distribute this, only use it for testing, as it is
> > > alpha level code which is undergoing rapid changes.
> >
> > I didn't see CAM in there; are you making it fit under CAM?  NetBSD
> > has unified their device model this wat, with apparently good results...
>
> There is no CAM in there. There might be a hook in the ata driver
> to register the ATAPI devices through CAM later. Acessing ATA disk
> devices through CAM is not planned.

You've changed your mind *again*?

For what it's worth, I don't see much value in treating ATA disks as
though they were SCSI disks; the overhead in translation is probably
too high.  On the other hand, I'm less sure about things that use the
ATAPI packet protocol.

Still, and more importantly, you're the one doing the work.