Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 2020 09:29:01 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
References:  <20200613154409.GA89618@neutralgood.org> <13115.1592302784@segfault.tristatelogic.com> <20200616071153.00006f4d@seibercom.net> <CA%2B4TWFuWN1BV=FftC1xNCYRgqwX%2BCb=wMg_L9MxFHx17Nzjm5Q@mail.gmail.com> <20200616075548.000066f1@seibercom.net> <20200616140416.bd7b8bf2.freebsd@edvax.de> <CA%2B4TWFtgaMkJWAOuvEpSg2TOo2hrG-P7EHJUigCQwgQw3iXtWQ@mail.gmail.com> <20200616142043.7d599458.freebsd@edvax.de> <CA%2B4TWFvf7w=4djQfWLtXhqmip0Rb72Js6BbOW=F_gUkufXuQFw@mail.gmail.com> <CAGBxaX=AG7gi_2B0srPdJ6hGxaO%2B61APREHOL8WmUKvO8s%2Bt%2Bg@mail.gmail.com>

--Sig_/.c/XivGW/7e1EeY=EFa6afr

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 08:50:22 -0400, Aryeh Friedman commented:
>On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 8:28 AM Chris Knipe <savage@savage.za.org>
>wrote:
>
>> https://imgur.com/a/eW01Zc2   Your own message - a very good example
>> of what's wrong with it.  Straight from gmail.  In outlook (for
>> example, which has a narrower reading plane), it will be even worse,
>> as even -more- scrolling would be required.
>> =20
>
>Reading the original message on gmail was no problem for me nor
>unreadable in any way (you must have your gmail configured in some
>f'ed up way!).

I just read that message in both Gmail and Outlook, the program not the
web site, and it presented itself quite well.

>> We don't use 640x480 monitors anymore (hell, not even our SSH
>> sessions run at these low resolutions and 80 col / 25 rows anymore)
>> - we're way past that as well...  Whilst I now have to scroll up and
>> down to read your message, I could have seen your entire message in
>> one screen without the need to scroll up and down.
>> =20
>
>Maybe if you have *perfect* eyesight you could see it on one screen!
>(Not everyone is 18 and has vision better than most fighter pilots).
> And you might be wrong about the row/col count of some/most SSH (X
> based terminal
>apps) for example on a 1920x1080 monitor (27") my 50 year old eyes need
>37x135 (not that much larger than 25x80) when using a xfce terminal,
>the default font size is unreadable even with 1.75 diopter reading
>glasses (which are not needed if I use the above resolution).
>Before you go crazy about how everything can be done via a GUI I have
>one question: are you a programmer or a sysadmin? (if not then you
>have no idea of how useful a command line is vs. the GUI).

I am not a doctor; however, I am quite aware of how detrimental to your
health a projectile fired into your skull can be. Your equivalenced of
profession to knowledge is a fallacy. Many people study other job
skills although they have no intention of even entering the field
actively.

>> What's the most efficient?  I guess that's a matter of opinion too.
>> =20
>
>If it is unreadable then it is clearly no efficient.
>
>> I hear what you are saying, and I am by no means suggesting sending
>> a 200kb email, with 10mb of HTML embedded in it either, but we are
>> WAY past, 80 col, 25 rows...   It would be interesting to see how
>> 80x25 actually looks on today's say, 34" monitors (or whatever the
>> entry level monitors are these days)
>> =20
>
>Entry level from my local computer superstore (microcenter) is 25" and
>I am sure I would have an even lower resolution there.  So no we are
>*NOT* way past 25x80, you are just being dense and an elitist to say
>otherwise.

1) Not everybody buys the bargain basement item.
2) Time is a moving target. Your definition of "way past" is solely
based on your own opinions and observations. Personally, for me anyway,
once a train has left the station, it is gone. Obviously, everyone has
their own opinion on relevancy and suitability to task.
3) In virtually all cases, I never buy the entry level product of any
line. It is almost always the first one to go obsolete and/or not be
supported by its creators.

--=20
Jerry

--Sig_/.c/XivGW/7e1EeY=EFa6afr