Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:37:24 -0500
From:      "Gene Harris (e-mail)" <geneh@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd log message starting httpd

I just upgraded apache13 to the current port.  I am running 4.6-Stable.

Whenever I attempt to start Apache from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh, I get
the following error message in my messages log:
httpd: /etc/spwd.db: Invalid argument

In my httpd.conf file, I have user set to www and group set to www.
User www
Group www

www exists in master.passwd and group.  Here is what I get when I enter the
command manually:
su-2.05a# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start
httpd: bad user name nobody
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I thought I would parse the httpd.conf using the following command:
su-2.05a# /usr/local/sbin/httpd -t
httpd: bad user name nobody

As you can see, I am not getting anywhere.  I've searched the web, but all I
can find are items that say the user 'nobody' does not exist in your password
and group files.

Many Thanks,
--
Gene