Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:16:21 +0000
From:      "Ian Kallen" <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        mikelin@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem setting up network

I've had no problem with the 3c509 provided that Plug n Play is
turned off.  I boot to DOS (to use the 3com prom setting utilities), turn
 off Plug and Pray,  set the IRQ and base address (in my case IRQ 12
and 0x280) and that was about it-- I had to tell the bios not to use plug and
play and that IRQ 12 was "in use by an ISA device" -- Dell's BIOS is
probably different.

> Date:          Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:20:16 -0400
> From:          Mike <mikelin@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
> Subject:       Problem setting up network
> To:            questions@freebsd.org

> Dear Sir or Madam:
>
> We are trying to set up FreeBSD on our computers here at the Johns Hopkins
> Medical Institute in Baltimore, Maryland.  We are having trouble setting
> up FreeBSD with the network.  The computer will not connect to the
> Internet (pinging itself will not work).
>
> We have installed FreeBSD successfully on other computers in the
> laboratory.  The computer with which we are having difficulties is a Dell
> Dimension XPS P133 with 32MB RAM.  The network adapter is a 3Com Etherlink
> III ISA (3C509b-Combo).  I noticed that the 3C509 was labelled as
> "buggy" in your documentation.  Has there been a fix for this?
>
> We would appreciate any help you can give.  Thank you very much.
>
> Michael Lin

Ian Kallen                           ian@gamespot.com
     Director of Technology & Web Administration
            http://www.gamespot.com