Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:58:13 -0400
From:      Greg Larkin <glarkin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/local empty after upgrade

Mike Barnard wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Please see your request below
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> It's possible that your disk device names changed during the upgrade and
>> /etc/fstab can no longer mount the previous device on /usr/local.  Do
>> you see any error messages during the boot process?
>>

> no, I do not see any error during the boot process.
>

>> Please reply to the list with the output from the following commands:
>>
>> ls -l /dev/da*  # Assuming SCSI disks
>>
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  94 Jul  6 16:50 /dev/da0
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  96 Jul  6 16:50 /dev/da0s1
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  97 Jul  6 19:50 /dev/da0s1a
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  98 Jul  6 16:50 /dev/da0s1b
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  99 Jul  6 19:50 /dev/da0s1d
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 100 Jul  6 19:50 /dev/da0s1e
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 101 Jul  6 16:50 /dev/da0s1f
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 106 Jul  6 19:50 /dev/da0s1f.journal
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 102 Jul  6 16:50 /dev/da0s1g
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 107 Jul  6 19:50 /dev/da0s1g.journal
>

>> cat /etc/fstab
>>
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
>  Pass#
> /dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/da0s1g.journal     /resource           ufs     rw,async        2
> 2
> /dev/da0s1e             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/da0s1f.journal     /usr            ufs     rw,async        2       2
> /dev/da0s1d             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>

>> That information may help figure out what happened to the devices during
>> the upgrade.
>>

> unless I got the journaling wrong, the fstab and devices should work fine.
>

> Regards,

Hi Mike,

What did you have in your /usr/local directory prior to the upgrade?
Had you installed any ports?  What is the output of the following command:

pkg_info

If it doesn't print anything, then you haven't installed any ports yet,
and an empty /usr/local directory is normal.  If you manually placed
some files in there, that's a different story, and perhaps booting to
single-user and running fsck on /usr would help.

At first, I thought you might have /usr/local on its own partition and a
device rename might have caused a mount failure.  Were there any other
problems with the files/directories in /usr, or was it just /usr/local
that was emptied?

Regards,
Greg
- --