Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:45:45 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   squidguard and default blacklists in plist

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the www/squidguard port.

Some time ago I have been asked to try not make the port remove the
blacklists when, after installing the default ones, they were modified
by the user.

I fully understand and agree to this approach, so time allowing, I
have made a few tests, but found some obstacles, so I'd like to ask
what could be the best course of actions(hopefully not requiring a
total port Makefile rewrite).

I was hoping to coherce the pkg_delete program not to delete modified
files based on file checksum saved in +CONTENTS, but make deinstall
passes the -f flag to it(and portamster/portupgrade too I think)
and it will delete files anyway, so this option is not applicable.

This leaves me the situation that if I put those files in the plist they
will definetly be removed.

I have few options at this point:

I could install them, not have them in the pkg-plist and have a
deinstall script to analyze the files and delete them if and only if not
modified. Could this be acceptable?

Another option is simply not manage those sample files, and have a
personalized make target (install-examples, f.e.) which installs them
and then leave to the user their deletion, if wanted. Obviously this
would have to be explained in the pkg_message.

So, what is the best choice? Are there any better options?

Thanks in advance for any opinions/suggestions.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>