Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:27:52 -0500
From:      "Sysop_Blast IRCOP" <sysop_blast@hotmail.com>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: releng questions

Ouch, so then is it correct to assume there is no way to avoid recompiling
the kernel on a fresh install? I often have to install on a group a machines
at a time and I am looking to do it as painlessly and quickly as posible. I
have never been a big fan of compiling. Not that brave I guess.

Do you have to have the source installed to recompile the kernel?

Would you recommend buying 4.3 or waiting for 4.4?

The RELENG_4_3 branch is source code, not compiled binary images.  You
have to build your system according to the directions in the handbook
if you want to track the source code.

Kris