Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 13:02:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ted Buswell <tbuswell@acadia.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for advice on lpr/lpd changes

Garance A Drosihn writes:
 > At 10:23 AM -0400 5/10/00, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
 > >I was thinking of having lpr understand options given in a
 > >printer name.  Thus, for printer 'myptr', you could send to:
 > >    lpr -Pmyptr        (obviously...)
 > >    lpr -Pmyptr-h
 > >    lpr -Pmyptr-m
 > >    lpr -Pmyptr-mh  or -Pmyptr-hm   (both would work).
 > >This would not allow them to set ANY option via the printer
 > >name, but it would allow those two, which are the most ones
 > >most often requested.
 >
 > People have mentioned that they already have hyphens in
 > printer names.  How about if I use a / instead?  Eg:
 >       lpr -Pmyptr/h
 >       lpr -Pmyptr/m
 >
 > Would anyone have slashes in a printer name?  Any other
 > suggestions also welcome...  Just looking for a good way
 > for samba (WinXX) users to select -h or -m options when
 > their jobs go thru our unix print servers.

Another way of approaching the problem would be to head off
the problem as soon as you can: in Samba.

Right now, you could write a shell script to create all of the various
permutations of printer shares, each one with an appropriate "print
command" directive in your smb.conf.

Or alternatively, hack the appropriate bits in Samba so that you can
have your clients connect to \\s\p\options to get lpr printer 'p' off of
server 'p', with given options.  For example: \\server\printer\noheader,email
would result in Samba invoking "lpr -Pprinter -h -m".   This isn't any
different from your proposed mod to lpr, it just shuffles where the
work is done.

$.02

-Ted