Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:47:10 -0400
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Todd C. Miller" <Todd.Miller@courtesan.com>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [CFR] whois(1) out-of-bound access patch

Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller@courtesan.com> writes:
> In message <20011004121933.B31795@coffee.q9media.com>
> 	so spake Mike Barcroft (mike):
>
> > Would you please test the attached patch and confirm that it solves
> > the problem?  If it does, I'll commit it today.
>
> I doubt that is sufficient as "buf" is treated as a NUL terminated
> string in the calls to strstr().  Also note that it is not necessary
> to copy the buffer each time as in the original patch.  You can
> only get a line w/o a newline as the last line before EOF.

We could always implement strnstr().  I think I prefer it to the
malloc(3) the final line kludge.

BTW, are you interested in syncing OpenBSD's whois(1) with FreeBSD's
at some point?  I've added some really useful features, particularly
the -c option and recursive IP lookups.

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft