Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2018 06:07:27 -0500
From:      Jedi Tek'Unum <jedi@jeditekunum.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: De-orbit Allwinner A10/A20/A31 for 12.0

On Jun 19, 2018, at 10:51 PM, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
> development boards).  I'd rather let people know what we recommend for
> new arm users.  I expect RPi, Pine64, OrangePi, and BeagleBone to be
> in that list ... are the CubieBoard and WandBoard still popular?

I=E2=80=99ve found the NanoPi NEO series more desirable than the similar =
OrangePi models. Heatsink. Metal case. OLED/button board. =
http://www.friendlyarm.com <http://www.friendlyarm.com/>; Perfect for =
many really small projects.

I=E2=80=99m still using Linux on mine as there isn=E2=80=99t =
out-of-the-box support from FreeBSD. I did find a build that someone had =
done awhile back that seemed to work. I suspect the differences are =
minor. Unfortunately, I don=E2=80=99t have the time to learn the details =
of board support to contribute at this time.

The support for =E2=80=9Clarger=E2=80=9D boards is great. I hope there =
is a continued expansion downward - all the way to IoT scale. The NEO / =
Zero style boards are getting close. While a bit larger, they are =
cheaper - and obviously far more powerful - than things like an AdaFruit =
Feather <https://www.adafruit.com/category/943>; or Particle Photon =
<https://www.particle.io/>. How long until we see hardware that shrinks =
down to those sizes and is unix-capable?