Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:09:19 -0800
From:      Jake <jake@checker.org>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building x11amp-0.9

> hardware is a PnP SoundBlaster AWE32, PPro200 w/64 MB.  I'm using the
> pcm sound drivers.

K6-233, 64MB, ancient sb16 value, pcm.  4.0 as of yesterday or so.

I'm using Eric's port, built with the linuxthreads port.
I couldn't get it to compile from source, but the binary works great.

http://www.freebsd.org/~erich/x11amp/

I don't have the original message, but there's also a bunch
of other stuff I had to do; he's built thread safe X libs, and
patches from lt.tar.com for glib and gtk.

he forgot to include libx11amp so I grabbed it from Daniel's port.

> that says ("FIOASYNC")  This message is much more frequent.  It also

Agreed the audio quality is fine, I don't get any messages at all though.

> 3) Program core dumps when loading a .mp2 file.  Old version plays it
> without any problems.

That's listed on the known bugs page:
- can't play mp2 streams

> completely immune.  It has never skipped, no matter how hard I pound the
> system.

Interesting.  The only time I've been able to make it skip was during
a make world, I installed a port at the same time, and it skipped once
during the build.  probably due to the threads -- I also use vinum
to stripe together 2 4 gig drives, might help.

> 5) CPU usage is just slightly lower for the new version (23% vs 25%).
> Total RAM usage is lower for the new version (4200K vs 9360K).  This
> might be due to the fact that the old version splits in to five separate
> processes and the new version has just one.  I prefer the performance of
> the old version over the efficiency efficiency of the new one.

Mine starts four processes; the "first" one uses about ~27%, another ~4%
and the other two 0%.  I don't know about the RAM usage; each process says
SIZE: 5768K, RES: 2360K  is that each or total?

> I have not tried any of the skins yet but I going to soon.  I gotta get
> rid of this penguin!

Agreed.  Eric booted the pengiun out of the default skin, and appropriately
added a little pic of our infamous mascot Chuckie! looks cool.
Kind of bugs me that most of the skins say linux, and/or have that damn
pengiun.  For some reason it doesn't remember what skin I was using
and loads the default each time, but no biggy.

cheers,