Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:50:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/14319: hostname(1) doesn't mention rc.conf

The following reply was made to PR docs/14319; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To: William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:47:14 -0500 (EST)

 On 21-Dec-99 William Richard wrote:
 > The following reply was made to PR docs/14319; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 >  Here's a patch:
 >
 >  *** hostname.1.old      Mon Dec 20 15:11:53 1999
 >  --- hostname.1  Mon Dec 20 16:33:58 1999
 >  ***************
 >  *** 50,55 ****
 >  --- 50,59 ----
 >    .Pa /etc/rc.network ,
 >    normally run at boot
 >    time.
 >  + The preferred method of setting the hostname is by defining the variable
 >  + .Va hostname
 >  + in
 >  + .Pa /etc/rc.conf .

 How about this wording:

 The hostname should be set by defining the
 .Va hostname
 variable in
 .Pa /etc/rc.conf .

 - or -

 The preferred method of setting the hostname is defining the variable
 .Va hostname
 in
 .Pa /etc/cr.conf .

 I don't think 'by defining...' is a valid direct object, it needs to be an
 infinitive (IIRC), i.e. 'to define' or a gerund, i.e. 'defining'.  (I may have
 the terms messed up, but I believe the examples are accurate).