Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:25:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 - radeon or radeonhd? (ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT)

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Ewald Jenisch wrote:

> I've got a PC (Dell) that came with a Radeon HD 2400 XT (RV610 chipset).
>
> Afaik there isn't 3D support yet with this card, so my primary goal is
> to get it working as far as 2D and speed is concerned (I don't want to
> go for "vesa" if at all possible)
>

> Which driver should I use for this card - radeon or radeonhd?

My impression is that radeon is the more stable and feature-complete at
present.  I've tested both on a couple of cards and radeonhd had some
flaws (which I now can't recall).

Probably won't get 2D acceleration on that card yet.  Probably not even
after 7.1-RELEASE, then xorg-7.4 and Robert Noland's DRM updates.
However, AMD just released some stuff and more is on the way.

> Anything to consider besides having either "Driver radeon" or "Driver
> radeonhd" in the xorg.conf in order to get going?

Not that I can recall.