Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:00:12 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, rivers@lakes.dignus.com
Subject:   Re: 3.3 panics after running large programs...

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 04:56:02PM -0500, a little birdie told me
that Thomas David Rivers remarked

>  Then, my machine is locked up hard -  no dump is taken, so the
> subsequent reboot doesn't save any core.  (I've believe I've got savecore
> set appropriately in /etc/rc.local:
> appropriately set in my /etc/rc.local
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I presume you mean rc.conf.

>  I guess there are really two "prongs" to this:
>
> 	1) Anyone noticed a panic similar to this?
No, but...

> 	2) Is there any reason I'm not getting a nice savecore?
> 	   The machine is simply hanging solid...

As a guess, if it's freaking out in the routines for the SCSI controller,
it might have trouble dumping to a drive on it; maybe it locks trying to
do it, or maybe it has enough (or too much ;) 'smarts' to not even try.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com