Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:52:09 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as NetBSD!!!

Mike Hauber writes:

> Heh...  This gives me an idea...  How about FreeBSD "skins."  The
> Beastie as the default (of course), and dis_ey-type themes for
> the "weak in the faith".  If FreeBSD's attempt is not to be
> offensive to anyone, anywhere, anytime, then perhaps it just
> needs to jump into a different skin for everybody (corporate or
> otherwise) it serves...  Perhaps a questionare to be filled out
> in the beginnings of sysinstall would let the system know what is
> to be considered "appropriate."

This sort of idea betrays the geek atmosphere that pervades FreeBSD and
many other open-source efforts.  It might please geeks installing the
OS, but it only makes it look like a toy to people who are installing it
for serious use.  Nobody sitting in a machine room in front of a rack of
servers is going to care anything about "skins."

--
Anthony