Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:48:34 +0600 (ESS)
From:      Andrey Zakhvatov <andy@mail.cgu.chel.su>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: do-install targets in games/*/Makefiles

Hello,

> I just noticed that a lot of your Makefiles in games have a do-install
> target that uses ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} and ${INSTALL_MAN} to install a
> single binary and manpage (and sometimes the app-defaults file).  What
> is the purpose of this?
  I think it allows no-brain RightThing(tm) installation. I mean
proper handling of BINOWN, MANOWN etc. I prefer sometimes duplicate
install target of original Makefiles then track its rules for
prefixes, owners, modes etc.

> If that's the case, I don't think it's worth the complication.
> Duplicating pretty much what the original makefile already does in the
> port makefile is not very good programming practice.
  I agree when original Makefile do the same thing _exactly_. I'll check
my ports.

> Or just forget about the whole man6 thing and just put it in section
> 1.  It's not like there are commands that both appear in section 6 and
> 1, and most commands put the manpages in 1 anyway. ;)
  IMHO FreeBSD must be strict thing. If xquatro is game for X, then it _must_
be under ${X11BASE} (nothing else) and its man pages _must_ be under
${X11BASE}/man/man6 (nothing else). The simpliest way to reach such thing -
just use our do-install target in port's Makefile.

  In general, I prefer _strict_ rules, determinated thing. Where man page
of X Window game must be? Answer, IMHO, must be without variants.

P.S. Of course, port's Makefile must allow redefinition of PREFIX for
test/private installation, but for system-wide installation all things
must be determinatable.