Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:05:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        John Mills <john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Patrick O'Reilly <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
Subject:   Re: S/Key - this is embarrasing.

Hi John,

 --- John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com> schrieb:

> > Have you ever looked into the rc.d scripts?
>
> That's where I go in Linux; I took a cursory look on the FreeBSD box and
> didn't see where the netowrk was being done. In this case restarting
> 'sshd' is what I actually need.

I wanted to correct a statement with that question. It was: "no other unices
were using files with process ids". They are doing it - but in the rc.d scripts
(it is hidden from the user).

For restarting sshd under FreeBSD:
1) killall -1 sshd (should work - I didn't tested it).
2) kill -HUP `cat /var/run/sshd.pid`
3) kill `cat /var/run/sshd.pid`; sshd

The rc.d scripts are offering some comfort - but they do exactly the same.

Hope that helps

Marc