Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:53:58 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        ignacioc@avantel.net (Ignacio Cristerna), freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation: what to (not) do about it

> Clearly, the "SMPng" work is one goal that's pretty widely known,
> thanks to Jason Evans and others publishing their direction; if
> the project could be that forthcoming in other areas, then there

Roadmaps are produced by people with the time and energy to write
roadmaps.  One of the reasons SMPng is going so well is that we paid
to fly a bunch of people to a kick-off meeting and get them working
more cohesively together and then we continued to pay the manager of
the project to do it on a full-time basis.  Management is pretty
important where the generation and implementation of roadmap documents
is concerned and it's as hard to get it done on a purely volunteer
basis as it is to get companies to pay for it in all the areas it
needs done.

I'd love to see more management and more roadmaps but I've also
learned to live with the fact that there will never be as much of
either as I or most anyone else would like.

- Jordan