Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:43:24 -0400
From:      jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X slowness on 5.3rc1

>CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp
>CFLAGS= -O -pipe

That is not what I have, but it might work just a s well?
Here is a snip from my make file.

CFLAGS=-O -pipe -fschedule-insns2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=athlon-xp
CXXFLAGS+=-fschedule-insns2
COPTFLAGES=-O -pipe -funroll-loops -fschedule-insns2 -march=athlon-xp
NOPROFILE=true

>Yeah, had to have it enabled for abit. If it was disabled X would
>freeze.

Hmm, did you have agp in the kernel and preloaded?

>I eventually traced the problem to something involving the AGP kernel
>module. I commented that out of loader.conf and I could then could
>then successfully start X without needing to disable the mtrr. :)
>
>Much thanks any ways :)

Seems like you had agp in the kernel too then?  What do you get with the
command glxgears, both in a window and fullscreen?