Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2006 07:46:51 -0500
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <jonathan@fosburgh.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Subject:   Re: Fixing VNC port(s) for AMD64

--nextPart21796252.sMFzl4KjAZ

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 22:41, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> So I'm new to AMD64 and was surprised by the lack of VNC
> support for this platform.  Its been a while since I've
> hacked ports (like more years than I have fingers on one
> hand), but I figured it couldn't be that hard to fix up one
> of the VNC ports and submit my work back.
>
> Boy was I wrong.

My experiences trying to fix NXwindows for AMD64 were quite similar. A bett=
er=20
solution would be to get the vendors to update their code to either a newer=
=20
XF86 or Xorg.  I think both VNC and NX use XFree 4.3 or earlier which do no=
t=20
support amd64 (though they seem to support ia64). It seems to me that Linux=
=20
users would have the same problems that we do.
=2D-=20
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center