Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:46:17 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog dedicated machine

brain_damaged wrote:

> Hello Anyone,
> after reading the security page I am thinking of
> putting it like it said with one machine doing just the logging. I was wondering what the machine requirements would be for just running the syslogd ?
>
> Alot of hard space I would imagine but would a alot of memory and process be needed ?
> I have a p-100 sitting here with two big drives but It doesn't have much memory. 16 megs I think.

That should do just fine.

> also what would happen if the syslog machine was down and the others could not talk to it.
> I have two postfix machines and one machine running apahce,mysql,php,phpnuke ?
> would they lockup or stop functioning ?

Syslog uses UDP, which is basically a "send and pray"
protocoll, so I dont even think those machines would notice
if the logserver was down. They would probably happily keep
sending their logs.
It could be a good idea to keep a local copy of the logfiles
on each machine, as well as sending them to the logserver.

Keep in mind that syslogd sends its logs over the network in
plain text, totally unencrypted. If this is a public network
you might want to look at setting up some kind of encryption
tunnel between the servers.