Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:06:07 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When Is The Ports Tree Going To Be Updated?

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>wrote:

> On Monday 26 November 2012 13:49:05 Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > I am starting to switch, and after all the discussions in this thread, I
> > replaced my csup cron entry with the following:
> >
> > portsnap fetch && portsnap extract && portsnap update
>
> "portsnap fetch" should only be used interactively; for non-interactive
> use,
> you should use "portsnap cron"
>
> "portsnap extract" is only needed for initialising your portsnap-maintained
> ports tree.
>
> So, after your initial portsnap run, what you need in your cron file is
> just "portsnap fetch update"

So is "portsnap cron update" and "portsnap fetch update" doing the same
thing?
Whichever way, it sounds like I need an initial run of portsnap extract
before putting this in crontab.

@Matthew, I do not need all ports (astro, hungarian, etc...) but you appear
to suggest I need everything, right?
My portsnap.conf contains:

*REFUSE all arabic astro benchmarks biology cad chinese finance french
games german hebrew
REFUSE hungarian japanese korean palm polish portuguese russian science
ukranian vietnamese*

Is that a misnomer?

Then coming to freebsd-update (I never thought I'd have to use it one
day!), I am a little confused with what to tinker. There are these two
lines:

*# Components of the base system which should be kept updated.
Components src world kernel

# Example for updating the userland and the kernel source code only:
# Components src/base src/sys world*

I always did csup to get my src then manually did the buildworld, make
kernel, reboot, installworld, then mergemaster.
>From the above lines, I am not sure what I need, but think the "Components
src world" is what I need. How it comes to build my custom kernel is still
not clear to me.

My mergemaster.rc contained:

*IGNORE_FILES="/etc/crontab /etc/fstab /etc/group /etc/hosts /etc/inetd.conf
/etc/make.conf /etc/master.passwd /etc/motd /etc/newsyslog.conf
/etc/ntp.conf /etc/ntp.drift /etc/profile /etc/rc.conf /etc/resolv.conf
/etc/services /etc/shells /etc/syslog.conf /etc/ssh/sshd_config
/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key.pub /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
/etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub /etc/passwd /etc/rc.conf.local
/etc/zfs/exports /etc//namedb/named.conf /etc/periodic.conf /etc/hosts.allow
/etc/hosts /etc/pf.conf /etc/sysctl.conf /etc/make.conf /etc/src.conf
/etc/mail/aliases /etc/mail/mailer.conf /etc/remote"*

How now do I deal with this? Hopefully you can explain to someone who has
been keeping off freebsd-update. I know there are many like me who are in
this situation now that csup is getting deprecated.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,