Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:21:19 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD a good choice for high performance webservers?

Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch> types:

> Hello questions,
> Ok, I know the subject is provoking, but it's absolutely intended
> as the Makefile of the Apache 2 port states:
> [... configure arguments...]
>                 --disable-threads \
>                 --with-mpm=preforked  # Apache's thread doesn't work
> well in FreeBSD

Since nobody else mentioned it, the threading model in 5.0 will be
much better than what's in 4.x. From what I've seen, it should be
better than Linux now - which doesn't mean it'll be better than Linux
when 5.0 comes out, though I would expect that.

If you're planning on upgrading the box regularly and 4.x will do the
job now - which ignores all the performance questions others have
brought up - then I'd go with that.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.