Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:12:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        green@FreeBSD.org (Brian F. Feldman)
Cc:        luigi@iet.unipi.it, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why 'dd' does not seek over 'char' devs (specifically raw disk

> > Hi, i have a question.
> >
> > Why 'dd' does not seek over 'char' devs (specifically raw disk partitions).
>
> Not all character devices support seeking. So, we work with the LCD...
> Sorry, I don't like this either. It would be better, maybe, just to fix
> character devices.

couldn't we first try lseek and only do the reads on char devs where
the lseek fails ?

> You certainly make a good case. modify your local copy of dd to do
> what you want.

generally this is not the kind of things you can do when your system
has already gone bad (this was a laptop's disk...)

> > I notice that on output lseek _is_ used also on char devices.
>
> And how else would you do it?

ok, stupid observation!

	cheers
	luigi

  Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)

		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====