Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:04:24 +0530
From:      "K. Arun"  <kar@giasmda.vsnl.net.in>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HDD refuses to sync before shutting down.

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 07:00:18PM -0800, Dan Busarow said:

 => I don't know.  But it obviously connects with your problem.  If
 => you can verify that it is ext2fs causing the problem then you can
 => pursue getting that fixed.  I think there may be a special FS
 => mailing list, if not try asking on hackers.

Hi,
	You were right, I commented out the EXT2FS option in the config
file, recompiled and rebooted. No trouble shutting the system down. It does
seem EXT2FS is causing the problem. Under the kernel with ext2 support,
I had two Linux partitions mounted from /etc/fstab, one rw, the other ro.
Will this make a difference ? I mean, mounting only rw, or only ro.

	Also, this frequent shutting down without syncing the disks, I know,
is bound to damage the filesystem at one point or the other, but will it cause
physical damage to the HDD ?

	Thanks a lot,

						- arun