Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:03:47 +0200
From:      Morsal Roudbay <morsal@swipnet.se>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        J S <spl1t_h0r1z0n@usa.net>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: spammers]

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 02:39:52AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >ISPs dont bother much, been there, done that. Lousy solution.
> >

> Not true.  The problem is that most people that file a spam complaint don't
> include headers.  Secondly, most ISP's won't bother if they only get a single
> complaint because most spam complaints are bogus anyway.
>
> What the ISP's look for is a pattern - if they get 20 or more complaints from
> different people all on the same day all complaining about the identical piece
> of spam then they will investigate.  But of course if all they get is one then
> they typically ignore it because most people that complain cannot read
> mail headers to determine the real injection point of the spam, so they end
> up complaining to the postmaster of the forged domain.

Ted,
As u say, the ISPs dont bother if they get a single complaint.. that's what
I have experienced... I really dont see why this list cant be closed, feel
free to explain why it would work better open as it is now.. (all closed
Linux list I've ever subscribed to have been working great with no spam at
all)